Sometimes, I think we take the idea of Doing Less too literally, restricting ourselves to reducing only our external tasks and chores.Â But our internal tasks demand our time and energy as well. ByÂ internal tasksÂ I mean the activities of our monkey mind – mental and emotional busyness. So here’s a little warm-up exercise for Friday’s DO LESS post.Â What *8Things do you need less of– from the internal or external list? Here’s mine, share yours!Â
1. Worry. I worry about my children almost all the time, especially the oldest one. Mabel likes to tell me, “You have to know deep in your soul that your kids are going to be okay.” She’s right, she’s right, I know she’s right. Now to live like it…
2. Regrets. Since midlife has come, looming regret has been a major theme of mine. Tess of Anchors and MastsÂ has this quote as her email tagline. ItÂ helps me a lot: “It’s only too late if you don’t start now.” -Barbara Sher
3. Second Guessing. Ohmylord, my Gremlins have me doing this a lot! Especially around food and exercise. If I walk a few miles my Gremlins say, “Maybe you should have gone swimming instead.” If I eat a sandwich I get, “A salad would have been better.” Urgh.
4. Violence on Television. It’s the “Summer of Crime” on local Danish TV, which means non-stop crime dramas. Now I love Dexter as much as the next gal, but I think I’ve finally hit my limit of crime images. My psyche’s starting to feel a little bruised.
5. Laundry. I’ve got to get my kids to stop “cleaning” their room by dumping all their clothes –even the clean ones–back into the hamper.
6. Clothing Crisis. It is ridiculous how much time I spend trying to figure out what to wear these days. Two cotton short-sleeve blouses, a pair of capri jeans, and some brown sandals would solve my problems. That’s my limited shopping list when I land in the States next month.
7. Self Criticism. Specifically, I need to do less beating-myself-up about my limited ability to read these days. My migraines flare worse at night, so my evening routine of reading a novel before bed has evaporated. Instead I listen to books from Audible.com when I walk, but the available literary quality is significantly lower than what I’m accustomed to.Â I feel my intellect atrophying! Making peace with this reality might quite down the self critic. But how?
8. Medication. The migraines, they are awful these days. I’m pain free maybe a week all-told out of the month. Without access to the alternative Â practitioners that keep my pain at bay, the amount of meds I’ve had to take is creeping up. It makes me feel toxic, and stresses out my liver. Thankfully I’ll practically live in Dr. Woo Woo’s office this Summer and theÂ meds will have aÂ hiatus. (Phew!)
What do you need less of in your life? Clutter? Commitments? Caffeine? Complaints? Grab a button and play along or put your *8Things in the comments below. Â And don’t forget to join The DO LESS Revolution, here at Magpie Girl on Fridays. Go recruit a friend! Thanks for being here!