I’ve been in a funny space lately. After 18 months we are finally on furlough from Copenhagen, Denmark and are able to come “home” for awhile to Seattle, Washington. This means big reunions with family and friends, lots of cocktails and laughter, and a fare amount of disorientation.
My Facebook quiz for “Which Mental Disorder are You” brought up “bipolar” — to which I say “No doi!”Â I’m really feeling my tendency to swing between polar opposites as I spend the summer alternating between a happy sense of belonging, and a disquieting sense of displacement. I’m shuttling between SeattleÂ (for migraine treatments) and Hartsine Island (my parent’s retreat) so my bag is always packed and my head has seen many different pillows.Â I don’t have a regular sleep schedule; my meals areÂ extraordinarily ad hoc;Â Â and at one point I had to brush my teeth in the car usingÂ the watered-down leftover diet coke for a rinse. Yes, I am a vagabond.
All this joy and confusion has got me to wondering: “What are the core things I know about myself?” In the face of expectations from family and friends, what do I know to be true? Furthermore, what do their response to my presence tell me about myself? So here’s *8Things I Know for Sure About Moi.
1. People like me, they really like me. It’s been so touching to have everyone receive me with open arms; confess that they secretly kindasorta hoped Paul would get laid off so we could return to the States early; and make ticks on a cocktail napkin to start counting down the days until we areÂ back for keeps. Some how I never really got it before. Thanks peeps!
2. I really do create community wherever I go. I always doubted if there was a real “there there” amongst my community-building efforts. But yesterday my darling neighbor Barbie droveÂ some reality home when she told me, “You never know how things are going to be in advance, you know? But thisÂ street just isn’t the same without you.”
3. I am getting stronger. My health was really in the crapper when I got here, but if I can keep going relatively pain-free with all this wacky sleep and these long drives, then I MUST be getting healthier.
4. I Like Working. My vocational calling as a writer/teacher/community builder is very strong right now. I miss writing and coaching while I’m away, but it’s just been too busy for me to get much work in. I’m trying to trust that I can pick up all my series when this trip is over.
5. My healthÂ demands life inÂ GranolaVille.Â Naturopaths, NAET practitioners,Â treatment massage, and stores that carryÂ gluten-free foodsÂ are a must for me. I can’t live in the land of western-only health care. It just doesn’t work.
6. I’m closer to my husband than I thought. Paul and I are not all that mushy-gushy romantic, and I LOVE solitude (see my post on the hermitish life.) SoÂ I didn’t think I’d miss him that much while we are apart for 6 weeks. WRONG!Â I totally adore our daily talks and IM’s and feel super confident in our partnership together. (Mwah, Baby!)
7. I can survive without solitude. It’s not easy, but I can get through.
8. I can’t think of one more…why don’t you tell me a true things about me as you see me? Oooo….intriguing!
What are the *8Things I Know for Sure about yourself? What truths help you hold your core? Put them in the comments below, or grab a buttonand play along by putting your permalink in the list below. Thanks for being here!