I was away on Dia de los Muertos, but when we got back on the first the girls and I put up our annual altar. This year as we arranged our icons and sugar skullsÂ I noted how this practice, once so unfamiliar,Â has become increasingly rich for us a family.
This year I turned a postcard of Vincent VanGoghÂ into another icon for our memorial. It made me wonder, who would you put in a shrine of *8 people who have influenced you? Here are my *8 Saints and Sinners. (God love ’em!)
1. Vincent VanGoghÂ – a soulmate who helps me journey through pain and creativity.
2. Rosa Parks – an icon made by my husband, who is always inspired by bravery for the sake of justice.
3. Simeon David Chapman – our first child who was stillborn. The girls love putting his tiny tin shrine up for All Souls.
4. Pauline Jarrett Mee – my Grandmother, making her second appearance this year at the shrine.
5. John Everett Mee – my Grandfather, who’s been on our shrine since just after Cate was born. The last thing he did was fly to Seattle to meet her. When he landed back in California, heÂ went straight to the hospital and never returned. But he was determined to deliverÂ Cate’s traditional pair of baby cowboy boots–black with silver sparkles. That was my Buddy.
6. St. Catherine of Sienna — my favorite historical saint and the womanÂ Catie is named after.
7. Mama God – a tiny clay sculpture helps me remember (and regain) the Feminine Divine.
8. Jesus — I firmly believe that “Jesus got ‘jacked.” I miss the real guy, don’t you?
Who are your *8 Saints and Sinners? Tell us in the comments below, or better yet, grab a *8Things Â button and play along. Don’t forget that we need the unique permalink in the list. Thanks for playing!
Love Magie Girl? Want to get in on moreÂ play alongsÂ like *8Things? Interested in upcoming books and on-line Soultribes? Sign up for the mailing listÂ to get news aboutÂ special events and offers. Thanks for being here!