There’s no denying it. It’s time to start thinking about holiday shopping. This year, like the last, I’ll be making my own gifts or buying handmade. Why buy handmade? I’ll let the folks from BuyHandmade.org tell ya’:
“The ascendancy of chain store culture and global manufacturing has left people all dressing, furnishing, and decorating alike. The connection between producer and consumer has been lost. Buying handmade helps them reconnect. We created the [buy handmade] pledge as a call to action for consumers to be conscious of how they spend their money this holiday season. We want people, whenever possible, to support independent creators and shop outside the big boxes.”
- supports the artists you love
- Â allows you toÂ give unique presents that are cherished, not forgotten
- Â is softer on the environment than mass-manufactured presents.
So thisÂ year you’ll find me cruising the on-line shops of small artisans.Â Here’sÂ Â my list of *8Things:Â Buy HandmadeÂ Favorites for you today. Who will you be shopping this holiday season?
1. Naoko Stoop Â (bio : shop): Â I feel so…softened..by these beautiful, whimsical prints and stationary. The Red Knit Cap GirlÂ is so sweet and uplifting. I wish I knew her when my children were little. I would have hung her up in their nursery for warm, adventurous vibes. AndÂ Naoko’s holiday cards are just perfection.Â Â
2. Inner Gypsy Design (bio : shop): Kerianne Taves offers elegant,Â sleek jewelry design. These silver pendants areÂ a long-standing classic-chic piece forÂ any modern jewelry collection.Â Part of the proceeds go to benefit theÂ Canadian Breast Cancer Society.
3. BoojiBoo (shop): The mother-daughter(s) team at BoojiBoo just keep churning out adorable vintage-inspired aprons.Â (That’s me wearingÂ mine.)Â My momÂ has two in her kitchen — matching grandmother/granddaughter numbers.Â MyÂ 9yoÂ daugther wears one with skulls-and-rose which she calls “girlie punk.”Â They’re just too much fun!
4. Bella Wish (blog : shop): Stacy de la Rosa makes beautiful, custom word-pendants accompanied by crystals, charms, or gemstones. WhenÂ my dearÂ friend was grieving a failed pregnancy,Â StacyÂ made her this beautiful pendant to help carry her through. Any woman in your life would be encouraged and supported by one of Stacy’s lovely pieces.
5. Rowena Murillo (blog : shop): I’ve sung Rowena’s praises before, because I just adore her work. It feel…prophetic…to me, as it calls out ourÂ finest, bravest, most noble selves. I’ve given her prints as presents to my soulsisters, and they’ve always been well received. Each one comes with the inspiring text shown in the item listing. Who will you send one to this holiday season?
6. Ten Things (shop): I tweeted that I adored these earrings, and the next thing I knew my soulsister Lisa had sent them to me in the mail! They are just as gorgeous in real life as in the photo. I love them! Any sea-loving Cali-girl will want something from this artful shop.
7. Jolie Guillebeau (blog : shop):I cannot tell you how happy I am that Jolie’s acrylics are now available as affordable prints. This charming Mr. Potato Head is just waiting to bring whimsy to someones living room, and Happy Apple can prop up on your desk to get you through your day. Someone you know having a baby? Don’t let them do the baby’s room in pinks and blue. These toys are for Generation Next!
8. Harp 46 (website : shop): I’ll never forget my Seattle friends lying around our living room blissing out to the beautiful harp music played by April Vega . April, her husband Nuc, and his brother Posido are Harp 46 — Â a unique trio creating layered, lovely music on harp, bass, and percussion. Their Christmas album, Angels with UsÂ is one of our all time favorites, and their new release EntanglementÂ is a world-music delight. Buy something for yoruself and a friends, and discover something totally inspired.
Three of these artists will be featured in upcoming Monday guest posts. Don’t miss a one — sign up on my new Magpie Girl mailing list Â and receive an lovely little reminder in your email when they arrive.
Who are your Buy Handmade Favorites? Put your suggestions in the comments below, or grab a buttonand play along. Remember, we need your permalink to your *8Things post in the list below, not your general blog address. Thanks for playing!