Here in Copenhagen, at roughly the same latitude as Anchorage, Alaska, the days are dark in Winter. The sun makes her weakened appearance slowly around 9:30am and leaves us a mere 7 hours later around 4pm. During the time the skies tend to be grey, the cloud cover low, and the mood somber. Thankfully, Winter Solstice is just around the corner. But there are still plenty of dark days to come before Spring burst through our doors.
What do you do during this season to make it through the darkness? How do you fight S.A.D.? What parts of the season can you embrace with honesty? What *8Things Â do you enjoy in the dark? (Nudge, nudge. Wink, wink.) Iâ€™ll tell you mine, if youâ€™ll tell me yoursâ€¦
- Sleep: We turn into bears around here and hibernate, hibernate, hibernate. Studies show that you can â€œcatch upâ€ on lost sleep, and accumulate the rest you need. Why not stockpile some snoozing while the days are dark?
- Read: I love curling up in my bed on a winterâ€™s night, or on the couch during a slow grew weekend â€“ if I have a good book.Â It’s also a great time for creative journaling and working through things likeÂ Keri Smith’s How to Be An Explorer of the World: A Portable Life Museum, or Carrie McCarthy’s Â Style Statement: Live by your own Design. What are you reading these days?
- Knit: Now is the time for hand crafts. I learned how fromÂ Stitch andÂ Bitch, and with the helpÂ of oneÂ yarn-shop class. NowÂ Iâ€™m working on this and this, and have made all of this.
- Bake:Now this one is a little dangerous, because all that sleeping and reading, plus the baking can make me a little rolly polly. But I do love to bake muffins and cookies in the winter time. You can find some of my favorites here. This year Iâ€™m learning to cook gluten free. Hopefully Iâ€™ll find some new favorites soon.
- Board Games: We keep trying to institute a family game night. But who wants to play Risk when the sun is shining? But in the dark evenings itâ€™s nice to turn on some tunes, get out a bowl of nuts, and play a few rounds of something. This year the girls are becoming card sharks: Rook, Flinch, Gin Rummy and Texas Hold â€˜Em are all getting practiced â€˜round here.
- Walk in the Dark: My city is very safe, and I love walking in the pre-dawn hours. Letâ€™s face it, if dawn was earlier than 8am, Iâ€™d never get up early enough to see the light grow. So this time of year is special, private treat of walking the lake alone in the dim.
- Bundle Up: I love scarves and hats, so this time of year is fun for me. I like picking the right combo and layering away. And with my pledge to go A Year Without Clothes, Iâ€™m also layering my regular clothes more to make my Winter wardrobe stretch.
- Oatmeal: I adore hot cereals, and in the winter they seem like a must. Oatmeal, varmt museli, risengrol, and cream of wheat are my cold season favs for stick-to-you-ribs warmth. (Have you tried it baked? Yum!)