*8Things Iâ€™ve Learned in the Past Little Bit
1. You Can Cook It Fast.Â Iâ€™ve always been a decent cook. NotÂ fancy, but good. Homeskillet style, I call it. Since moving to CPH Iâ€™ve had to learn to do it every night. Not just for special occasions or when I have time. Now I can cook from scratch, healthy, fast. Â Plus, I make gluten free baked goods three times a week, including bread. (Yeah. I kinda rock.)
2. Nothing is Ever Wasted. Iâ€™ve had a lot of jobs in my life, switch fields, I fall in love frequently with new things, I start and stop projects. On bad days it looks like one big meandering mess. On good days I can see a pattern in the chaos. Being distracted by sparkly things has got me here. And here is good.
3. It’s okay to Nap. In the Winter it makes perfect evolutionary sense to go back to bed for an hour after you get the kids off to school. Itâ€™s called hibernation. All the beasts are doing it. Why not you?
4. Wake to the Light. Make your Bed. Usually Karen Maezen Miller makes me want to throw Zen books at her. Sheâ€™s so nice, but my not-Zeny self likes to rebel against her calm. This article really worked for me tho. (Except the go to sleep with the sun part. In the North youâ€™d go to bed at 3pm!)
5.Â Human Contact is a Must. I work at home. I live abroad. If I donâ€™t see a real, live human grown up (who is not family) at least once a weak I go bat-shit crazy. This is a lesson I have to re-learn on a regular basis.
6. People Over 40 Need Tune Ups. My reading glasses are not strong enough. My distance vision is getting iffy. Thereâ€™s now a history of skin cancer in my family and Iâ€™ve never seen a dermatologist. (Says the girl who sunburned to blistered ever Summer of her life.)Â And donâ€™t even get me started on what 7 years of chronic migraines has done to my endocrine system. When I get back into the land where they actually run tests and prescribe you things, I am SO getting a full-on tune up.
7. Embrace the Crazy. Iâ€™m never going to be even-keeled. Iâ€™m not a certified Freak, but Iâ€™d fly the flag. Yet in spite of this friends say â€œRachelle is the solidÂ at the center.â€ (Thanks, Josh.) Some of the best art in the world is made by the mad. Â The key is to learn how to harness the crazy. Iâ€™m getting the hang of it. (I even wrote a tiny bit about it here.)
8. Your Kids Grow Up. A year ago my son-adopted-by affection was making me grind my teeth at night. My eldest by birth was on my nerves. And my little one was â€“ okay well she was peachy. Now the manchild in college; the eldest daughter is a delight and a friend; and the little one â€“ okay now she’s crying at the drop of a hat. My point is â€œThis Too Shall Pass.â€ (Put it on a sticky note on your fridge. It helps the Merlot not disappear quite as fast.)Â
What *8Lessons has life been dealing you these past few months?Â Contribute to the Giant Pool of Wisdom by puting your *8Things in the listÂ together. Grab a button and play along, or put your list in the comments below.Â If you post on your list on your blog, please give us the permalinkÂ in the Mr. Linky below so we can come say hi! Thanks for being here.