Oh you guys. I have been trying to lose weight for so long it is not even funny.
You may know that up until recently I was very ill. Chronic Daily Migraines for the better part of 7 years. I’m talking crawl-up-the-stairs-on-your-hands-and-knees ill.
Then last summer doctor number 27 actually found a root problem.Â Iron. I did not have enough iron in my blood to be even on the low end of the iron scale. How I managed to stay out of a hospital is a mystery. And why did I not have any iron?Â Gluten. Every time I ate gluten (think bread, beer, pasta) my immune system attacked by digestive system, until I couldn’t absorb any minerals.
So I learned to eat gluten-free andÂ tookÂ enough supplements to creat a ne w food group. After 3 months, my iron count had improved, the headaches were 80% reduced, and I could walk around again.Â
So nowadays? No bread or baked goods. Also,Â I gave up refined sugar. AndÂ I now swim or walk an hour a day.Â Due to food restrictions and a lack ofÂ Whole Foods in Copenhagen, a typical day’s food for me is a bowl of oatmeal with nuts and raisins; two rice cakes with tuna salad and tomatoes; and a piece of chicken or beef with a salad. Weight loss over the course of 6 months? Â 5 pounds.
But enough whining. All you can do is keep on keeping on, right? All I can do is move further and further into health and trust that eventually my previously-shut-down digestive system will catch up with itself. So hereÂ is my list this week:
*8Things:Â Improved Eating
1.More Veggies. I’m trying to get two all-vegetarian heavy-on-greens meals in each week.
2. Protein: I still eat a lot of oatmeal and corn pasta. (Stopped with the white rice tho!) I don’t like handling meat, and good tofu is hard to come by here. I’m going to try adding hard cooked eggs to more things this week.
3. Water: I only like it with citrus and limes still trigger my migraines. I’m trying!
4. Eliminate Coke Zero:I swear to god the secret ingredient is crack. This is all I ever want to eat or drink. Well, this and brownies –which I can’t have. My 11yo is helping me give it up (again). It’s my 30 Days to Pavlov project in June.
5. Iced Tea: I’m trying to drink more herbal tea. I don’t like green tea. How about peppermint?
6. Supplements:I’m faithfully taking things to regulate blood sugar, support my liver, and build up my iron (it’s still low). I want to order someÂ ProBiotics and add them to the mix. (Taking my vitamins faithfully was one of my Pavlov projects.)
7. Grill-a-licious: The sun is out! (Well, as out as it ever gets in northern climes.) Time to marinade in the morning to grill by dinner.
8. Treats: Cost be damned! It’s time to buy watermelon, raspberries and blueberries.
Eating local? Organic? Just trying to tune things up? Give us your *8Things: Improved Eating list.Â Â Grab a buttonÂ and play along! Put your list in the comments; orÂ post on yourÂ blog andÂ give us the permalinkÂ in the Mr. Linky below. (Weâ€™ll comeÂ come say hi! ) Thanks for being here!