Two trips to Spain and a few days into June, and I still feel depleted. Is that even possible? I mean, isn’t it Spring — nearly Summer? Shouldn’t I be feeling a bit more shored-up, a little more filled-up new life and rebirth and all that good seasonal stuff?
There are several things that are contributing this general feeling of being on “EMPTY.” Part of it isÂ a string of family illnesses, topped off with a few days of killer migraine. Part of it is that the sun is still only making rare appearances. (I’ve yet to make it all the way through the day in short sleeves.) Part ofÂ is just the constant low-grade wear and tear of life as an ex-pat.Â And part of it is that I’m doing a lot of on-line care-giving without filling back up.
I know. When will I ever learn?
So in an effort to keep this “EMPTY” thing from being chronic, here is a list of *8Things I can do that I know will fill me back up.
The Fill-‘er-Up List
1. Time Outdoors. Right now my favorite version of this is an hour in the morning on my teeny-tiny bedroom balcony. It’s too small for a bistro table-and-chair. So I just pull a blanket out there and read in the daylight with the dog.
2. Beautiful Things. A trip out to the Louisiana Modern Art Museum would be a good idea. As would spending more time in the demonstration garden at the university down the street. (There are ducklings!)
3. Bathing in Poetry. Some musicians wash over me like warm water. I’ve been so into work lately that all I’ve had in my earbuds are how-to books. Mumford and Sons is working for me right now, but most of my favorite musical poets are more Winter music, if you know what I mean.Â I need a couple more musical sources that are all poetry and ripe for the Summer.
4. Eat Outdoors. The sun hits the blacony on the other side of our flat just in time for dinner. Often we are so tired we think it will be easier just to eat indoors. But really, it’s just as simple to carry our plates out into the sunshine.
5. Novels and Such. I need books that have nothing to do with work. Right now I’m reading The Book of Air and ShadowsÂ which is a great, mysterious Summer read. I’m also doing How to Be an Explorer of the World: Portable Life MuseumÂ as the read-a-long at Flock. It’s a lot of joyful fun!
6. Boundaries. No working on Sundays. Less time on line. More time unplugged. Certain things need to firm up around here!
7. Knitting. It’s odd to be knitting in the warm weather, but these long light evenings make me want to be industrious between dinner and bed. I’m making beautiful wraps for two ladies I love. I’m on my second version of Azzu’s Shawl, and with the kind help of Abby from Life at the Poles,Â I’m working on the Â Maja as well. It’s so soothing, and seeing evidence of clear-and-obvious progress helps me out a lot.
8. Water. Drinking it. Swimming in it. Sitting by it. Water is so bedrock to me right now. (Can you mix that metaphor?) I had to step away from the pool this week in order to let my sinuses heal, and it’s really making me edgy. Hopefully I can get back in there next week.
What feeds you body and soul these days? What do you need to keep the needle off the big “E”?Â Give us your *8Things: Fill-‘er-Up listÂ in the comments below orÂ Â grab a buttonÂ and play along!Â If you put your list on your blog,Â give us the permalinkÂ in the Mr. Linky below.Â Thanks for playing!